Teaching Math to Young Children Online Professional Learning Course
The Teaching Math to Young Children online professional learning course will help educators to more effectively support mathematics learning for young children. This course is organized around the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) Teaching Math to Young Children Practice Guide published in 2013 by the U.S. Department of Education’s What Works Clearinghouse. Teaching Mathematics to Young Children follows the Practice Guide in being organized around five major research-based recommendations with specific classroom tools and applications to help educators effectively implement the recommendations.
- Develop a deeper understanding of developmental progressions in number.
- Develop a deeper understanding of developmental progressions in geometry, patterns, measurement, and data analysis.
- Investigate common methods of progress monitoring and how monitoring intertwines with progressions to inform instruction.
- Use classroom activities and teaching structures to support young children to view and describe their worlds mathematically.
- Dedicate math instruction within and integrate throughout the school day.
- Reflect on experiences in the online professional learning and plan next steps.